Main Article Content
In Sub-Transmission & Distribution system the significance of HT Capacitor Bank is increasing day-by-day for Shunt compensation. In West Bengal the premier power utility had taken an initiative for installation of HT Shunt Capacitor Banks at 11kV bus of 33/11kV substations. The main motto has been to improve the p.f. under Maximum demand conditions and subsequently improvement of voltage profile by reducing the huge network losses. Thus a part of today’s increasing demand can be served, keeping the same Generation & Transmission capacity and consequently, more revenue can be earned. A systematic approach for designing the shunt compensation system along with post commissioning results have been presented herewith as case study basis.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The copyright for all manuscripts/ documents belongs to the authors.
- LM Smith, “A Practical Approach in Substation Capacitor Bank Applications to calculating, limiting and reducing the effects of Transient Currents" in IEEE Transc. IAS, Vol 31, No.4, Jul/Aug 1995.
- MA Chowdhury & W Zada, “A Simplistic Technique for Power factor Compensation Capacity Calculation in Medium Size Industry"
- J Benitez, “Application of Capacitors for Power Factor Correction of Industrial Electrical Distribution Systems" Paper No.PCIC-92-22.
- TE Grebe, “Application of Distribution System Capacitor Banks and their Impact on Power Quality" in IEEE Transc. IAS, Vol 32, No.3, May/Jun 1996.
- DF Miller, “Application guide for Shunt Capacitors on Industrial Distribution Systems at Medium Voltage Levels" in IEEE Transc. IAS, Vol 12, No.5, Sep/Oct 1976.
- WU Baum & WA Frederick, “A method of applying Switched & Fixed Capacitors for Voltage Control" Jan 1965.
- RF Cook, “Calculating Loss Reduction Afforded by Shunt Capacitor Application" Dec 1964.
- TM Blooming & DJ Carnovale, “Capacitor Application Issues" in IEEE Transc. IAS, Vol 44, No.4, Jul/Aug 2008.
- JV Schmill, “Optimum size and location of Shunt Capacitors on Distribution Feeders" in IEEE Transc. PAS, Vol 84, No.9, Sep 1965.
- J Bruke, “The Application of Capacitors on Rural Distribution Systems" in IEEE Conf, Paper No.04 B4, 2004.
- BIS 12360: 1988 “Voltage bands for electrical installations including preferred voltages and frequency".