Main Article Content
India suffers from the wastage of a large amount of agricultural produce due to the lack of proper post-harvest storage system. In this paper, an attempt has been made to propose a novel hybrid solar thermal and biomass driven refrigeration system. The refrigeration cycle used here employs a LiBr-H2O vapour absorption refrigeration system used for storage of potatoes in cold storage. The objective of the hybrid power system proposed here is to produce a favourable micro-climate inside the cold storage throughout a calendar year irrespective of the seasonal variations in weather. The modelling equations of the proposed system have been developed and solved with the help of Engineering Equation Solver for the location of New Delhi (28o35’ N, 77o12’ E). The results of the proposed model are validated against a reference model study available in literature and a very good agreement is achieved with a root mean square error of 0.98% in the value of COP. A rudimentary cost analysis has also been included to assess the economic viability of the proposed system. The study thus reinforces the viability of using a solar biomass hybrid system for operation in the rural areas of a developing nation like India.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The copyright for all manuscripts/ documents belongs to the authors.
- Report of The Energy and Resources Institute: Solar-Biomass Hybrid Cold Storage-cum-Power Generation system for Rural Applications, Energetica India, 15 Apr 2012, Available from: http://www.teriin.org/opinion/solar-biomass-hybrid-cold-storage-cum-power-generation-system-rural-applications [Accessed 15 Jan 2019].
- Report of The Directorate of Economics and statics, Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Government of India: State of Indian Agriculture, 2016, Available from: http://eands.dacnet.nic.in/PDF/State_of_Indian_Agriculture.2015-16.pdf [Accessed 15 Jan 2019].
- A. P. Tyagi, Solar Radiation Energy over India, Indian Meteorological Department and Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, Govt. of India, 2009.
- Shiv Lal, “Design of Cold Storage for potato in India”, Cooling India, 2015, 11, pp. 38-42.
- Mohamed A. Eltawil, D. V. K. Samuel, O. P. Singhal, “Potato Storage Technology and Store Design Aspects", Agricultural Engineering International: the CIGR Ejournal, 2006, Invited Overview No. 11. Vol. VIII, pp. 1-18.
- A. Falhatkar, M. K. Assadi, “Analysis of solar lithium bromide-water absorption cooling system with heat pipe solar collector”. In Proceedings of the World Renewable Energy Congress, Sweden, 8-13 May 2011, pp. 3889-3896.
- Dipankar N. Basu, A. Ganguly, “Solar thermal–photovoltaic powered potato cold storage–conceptual design and performance analyses”, Applied Energy, 2016, 165, pp. 308-317.
- Evangelos Bellos, Christos Tzivanidis, Kimon A. Antonopoulos, “Exergetic, energetic and financial evaluation of a solar driven absorption cooling system with various collector types”, Applied Thermal Engineering, 2016, 102, pp.749-759.
- Nasir U. R. Rather, Arun Tripathi, “Design of Biomass Gasifiers for Power generation, cold storage and Heating for Jammu and Kashmir state”, International Journal of Advances in Scientific Research and Engineering, (2018), 4(1), pp.85-94.
- Munyeowaji Mbikan, Tarik Al-Shemmeri, “Computational model of biomass driven absorption refrigeration system”, Energies, 2017, 10 (234) pp. 1-15.
- Nasir U. R. Rather, Sheen Moses, Umakanta Sahoo, Arun Tripathi, “Performance Evaluation of Hybrid Cold Storage using Solar & Exhaust heat of Biomass Gasifier for Rural Development”, International Journal on Recent and Innovation Trends in Computing and Communication, 2017, 5(7), pp. 563-569.
- A. Mondal and A. Ganguly, “Modelling and performance analysis of a biomass combustion based power generation and grain drying system”. In Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Mechanical, Materials and Renewable Energy, Sikkim, 2017, pp. 58.
- A. Wang, X. Zhang and M. Huang, Exergy analysis of biomass gasification process. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Materials for Renewable Energy and Environment (ICMREE), Chengdu, 2013, pp. 211-214.
- A. Ganguly and R. K. De, Conceptual design and performance analysis of a parabolic trough collector supported multi-commodity cold storage. In Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Advances in Mechanical Engineering (ICAME), Chennai, 22-24 March 2018, pp. 393-403.
- Intracon, Refrigeration calculator. [Online] Available from: http://www.intarcon.com/calculadora/calc_en.html [Accessed 15 Jan 2019].
- Pradyuman Barnwal, G. N. Tiwari, “Life cycle cost analysis of a hybrid photovoltaic/thermal greenhouse dryer”, Open Environmental Sciences, 2008, 2, pp. 39-46.
- CESC, Electricity tariff 2018. [Online] Available from: https://www.cesc.co.in/wp-content/uploads/tariff/TARIFF%20AND%20ASSOCIATED%20CONDITIONS.pdf [Accessed 15 Jan 2019].