Main Article Content
It's a fairly simple task for humans to determine the gender of an individual using certain facial features, although it is difficult for machines to perform an equivalent task. Within the past decade, unimaginable steps have been taken to automatically predict the gender from a face image. The human face has certain distinctive features such as eyes, nose, lips, etc., which can be analyzed to classify humans into two basic genders: Male and Female. This project aims at achieving a similar goal of detecting gender from face images. The basic tool used in the project is Convolutional Neural Network (CNN) along with the use of the Programming language Python. In recent years, face detection has achieved considerable attention from researchers in biometrics, pattern recognition, and computer vision groups. There are countless security and forensic applications requiring the use of face recognition technologies which have motivated us to explore this area and start with this project.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The copyright for all manuscripts/ documents belongs to the authors.
- E. Makinen, and R. Raisamo, Evaluation of Gender Classification Methods with Automatically Detected and Aligned Faces,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 541547, 2008.
- S. U. Rehman, S. Tu, Y. Huang, and Z. Yang, Face recognition: A Novel Un-supervised Convolutional Neural Network Method, IEEE In-ternational Conference of Online Analysis and Computing Science (ICOACS), 2016.
- N. Srinivas, H. Atwal, D. C. Rose, G. Mahalingam, K. Ricanek, and D. S. Bolme, Age, Gender, and Fine-Grained Ethnicity Prediction Using Convolutional Neural Networks for the East Asian Face Dataset, 12th IEEE International Conference on Automatic Face and Gesture Recognition (FG 2017), 2017.
- N. Jain, S. Kumar, A. Kumar, P. Shamsolmoali, and M. Zareapoor, Hybrid Deep Neural Networks for Face Emotion recognition, Pattern Recognition Letters, 2018.
- G. Levi, and T. Hassner,” Age and Gender Classification Using Convolutional Neural Networks,” IEEE Workshop on Analysis and Modeling of Faces and Gestures (AMFG), IEEE Conf. on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), Boston, 2015.
- S. Turabzadeh, H. Meng, R. M. Swash, M. Pleva, and J. Juhar, Realtime Emotional State Detection From Facial Expression On Embedded Devices, Seventh International Conference on Innovative Computing Technology (INTECH), 2017.
- A. Dehghan, E. G. Ortiz, G. Shu, and S. Z. Masood, Dager: Deep Age, Gender and Emotion Recognition Using Convolutional Neural Network, arXiv preprint arXiv: 1702.04280, 2017.
- A. Krizhevsky, I. Sutskever, and G. E. Hinton, ImageNet classification with deep convolutional neural networks, Communications of the ACM, vol. 60, no. 6, pp. 8490, 2017.