Main Article Content
With advancement of civilization, use of plastic is increasing. Consequently a huge amount of plastic waste is generated. In India 26000 tonnes per day of plastic waste was generated in 201718. Polyethylene and expanded polystyrene foam are extensively used for packaging which create environmental pollution when discarded. Fly-ash is another solid waste generated from thermal power plants. This particulate solid waste contaminates air water and soil. Aim of the present research was to prepare a value-added product from all these waste materials to establish a waste-to-wealth process.
A tile-like structure has been prepared my melt-mixing and subsequent compression-moulding using plastic carry-bags, thermocol (expanded polystyrene foam) and fly-ash. Tensile and flexural strengths along with the solvent absorption capacity were determined and compared with ceramic wall tiles.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The copyright for all manuscripts/ documents belongs to the authors.
- N.Saikia, J.de Brito , Construction and Building Materials, Elsevier, Vol. 34, PP 386, 2012
- P.Sonone, R.Devalkar, Green Sustainable Bricks made of Fly Ash and Discarded Polyethylene Waste, International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology, Vol. 6, Issue 4, pp. 6509, 2017
- A.Konin, Materials and Structures, Vol. 44, pp. 1381-1387, 2011
- Y.Liu, W.Yang, M. Hao, Advanced Materials Research, Trans Tech Publications, Switzerland, Vol. 87-88, pp. 329-332, 2010
- R.Dhawan, B.M Singh Bisht, R.Kumar, S.Kumari, S.K Dhawan, Process Safety and Environmental Protection, Vol. 124, pp. 299-307, 2019
- Md. Ghazali, O. P Kaushal; International Journal of Engineering Research and Science (IJOER), Vol.1, Issue 4, 2015, pp 24-32.
- https://www.brabender.com/en/chemical/products/measuring-mixer/ Date of access 15.01.2020
- https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexural_strength/ Date of access 16.01.2020
- Z.Cherian, R. Lehman, Effects of adhesive type and polystyrene concentration on the shear strength of bonded polystyrene/high-density polyethylene blends, International journal of adhesion and adhesives, Vol. 25, pp. 502-506, 2005